In attendance: 22 members
Apologies: 6 members
Chair’s opening statement and welcome
- Clive noted the meeting was quorate and that enough members were present for the meeting's decisions to have a well-supported mandate.
- Members were reminded that all of the committee had decided to stand down following the resignation of the Diving Officer, and that the committee had decided to bring forward this AGM to November.
- The next AGM will be held in early 2015, and the new committee will be in position until then.
Minutes of the previous AGM and matters arising
- These minutes are available to view on the club blog.
- Following discussions at the previous AGM, the club adopted a privacy (data protection) policy, set up email groups for committee and club use (which are expected to be made active soon), and made changes to the way training is organised.
- Lee explained that this report was being presented in lieu of the annual Diving Officer's report.
- The year's highlights were revisited. It has been a good year for diving.
- No accidents have occurred this season.
- A number of safety issues were raised. Of particular concern this year was the number of divers ending dives low on air, ignoring the rule of thirds and setting a bad example to newer divers.
- It was also noted that proper gas and decompression planning wasn’t always being carried out, and that decompression dives should be done with alternate air sources.
- Mariette added that solo dives have happened (and have been tolerated) on club trips, when we are neither qualified nor trained for this. Kim noted that BSAC does not allow solo diving, and will soon be issuing guidance on trio diving.
- 2 incidents of suspected bends occurred this year, and these were resolved successfully. These incidents have not been reported to BSAC, however. It was noted that anyone in the club can report an incident to BSAC, and should be encouraged to do so. It was suggested that at the first meeting of the new committee, the idea of making the Dive Manager responsible for reporting incidents should be discussed.
- Members were reminded of terms and conditions for club dives.
- The emerging 2014 dive list was discussed. This will be circulated to the club very soon. Names are now being taken for dives.
Training Officer’s report
- It was noted that 1 Snorkel Diver, 4 Ocean Divers, 2 Sports Divers and 1 Dive Leader qualified with the club this year, and many more are close to qualifying.
- Lee was pleased that so many willing instructors stepped forward to deliver training.
- Lee suggested some training objectives for the following year, including maintaining the training record, continued club support for the Instructor Foundation Course, and running Skill Development Courses such as buoyancy and trim, drysuit and twinset training, as well as oxygen administration.
- Lars presented a statement of this year’s cash flow, along with comparison figures for recent years.
- It was noted that pool/club fees will increase from January, and standing orders need to be amended. Fees are now £16.50/month for individuals, and £25/month for joint membership.
- Dive report forms were introduced at the beginning of the year, however their use has been patchy. These forms include cost information for dive trips.
- Late payment of money for dive trips has been a problem this year. Clive reminded members to remember that if their kit is wet, they probably owe the club money. As of the evening of the AGM, however, no members were in arrears.
Equipment Officer’s report
- It was noted that the current arsenal of club kit has proved sufficient to cover all training and trip requirements this year, therefore it was not recommended that any additional equipment be bought.
- Several items, however, will need minor repairs or servicing this winter.
- Clive noted that the committee had decided to create a co-opted position of Publicity and Marketing Officer. The willing volunteer will be recruited by the new committee.
- Victor reported that 6 members had cast their votes in advance, and had sent apologies.
- Pat’s nomination was seconded.
- A secret ballot was held.
- Pat was elected Chair, Brett was elected Diving Officer, Ken was elected Treasurer, Ross was elected Equipment Officer, and Victor was elected Secretary.
- Medical declaration forms will be collected in the new year.
- Jill and Tom are collecting £5 deposits for the club xmas do (11th Dec, Il Giardino, Peckham).
- A brief discussion about dissolving the club was held, although nobody had any intention of moving a motion to dissolve the club.
- Dave announced that on Friday 22nd Nov he would be helping to set up a new flat in Southwark for a person with disabilities, and would appreciate help from members.
- Steve has the club phone, and will return it to Victor.
- The club would not be holding pool sessions on 11th Dec, 25th Dec or 1st Jan.
- Clive closed the meeting with suggestions that the new committee discuss, prioritise and address the lack of a Training Officer, why so many nominees (to committee positions) declined their nominations this year, and the 2014 dive list.
- The meeting closed at 9.10pm.