Thursday, 5 June 2014

Bermondsey BSAC committee meeting - 13th May 2014

In attendance: Pat, Brett, Ken, Teresa, Ross, Victor

2014 and 2015 dive list

  • Falmouth trip over recent Easter bank holiday was a success and the club didn’t have to cover the 2 unfilled spaces.
  • Noted that 2 early trips this year (Brighton and Shoreham) proved difficult to fill, but in the end did not go ahead due to the weather.
  • Agreed to book fewer day dives in early (pre-Easter) 2015. Club (or its members) can nominate weekends for trips to a specified location, but not make a club booking – instead, individuals would make their own bookings for that trip near to the trip date.
  • This process needn’t have too much structure – it would begin with an individual suggesting a date, checking if a boat is taking individual/buddy pair bookings, and then proposing the day dive to the rest of the club.
  • Club can facilitate this process by updating the dive list more quickly and circulating it more often. Club website can be updated with links and contact details for the dive boats we often use. Emails from members wishing to propose a day dive can be circulated by the Secretary.
  • Club trips will be booked in the Easter to September period.
  • The next few club dives in 2014 are well subscribed, but dives later in summer are not yet. Agreed to tout these to the club, with a reminder that unfilled spaces cost the club money.
  • 2 trips (Eastbourne and Weymouth) clash with the Mexico trip. There may be people who intend to join these 2 trips but haven’t got round to putting their names down yet, so both trips will be touted again.
  • The Brighton trip in August will be touted until the end of June.
  • Noted that minimum diver qualifications and depth limits will prevent some members from signing up, while deeper dives may be attractive to others. Other clubs (e.g., Hellfins) have many Ocean Divers wanting to dive, and our trips for more experienced divers could be filled by divers from other clubs. Brett will speak with contacts in other clubs, but won’t tout dives until our own members have been given more opportunity to sign up.
  • Wittering, Selsey, Portsmouth and Dover were suggested as day dives next year. Dive Leader trainees could organise trips to these destinations.
  • Brighton, Shoreham and Eastbourne boats will be used again in 2015.
  • Scubafest was not so good this year, but might be better next year should BSAC have more control. Agreed to reserve May 2nd-4th for a potential Scubafest trip in 2015.
  • Agreed to organise club trips for Easter and late spring bank holiday weekend.
  • A trip abroad was suggested for Easter – possibly the Red Sea or Gozo. Agreed to establish numbers by August, obtain quotes from Blue O2 etc, then tout to the club.
  • Other ideas discussed: Pembrokeshire, week-long liveaboard to Dieppe, Scilly Isles, Weymouth, Falmouth, Ireland, Truk, Coron, Sardinia, Poole, Swanage (unrestricted numbers, so suitable for August when many may be away), Lewis, Oban and Mull. Ken to look into possibility of borrowing another club’s RIB for a Lewis trip.
  • Previously-suggested trips to Shetland Isles, Crimea and Mozambique will not be happening in 2015.
  • Falmouth already booked for 2015 August bank holiday weekend.
  • Various provisional dates were added to the 2015 calendar. Victor and others to start making enquiries and bookings.

Club fees

  • The club’s abated rate (£25 for 2 people at the same address) was discussed. BSAC offer a similar abated rate, as only 1 magazine needs to be sent to that address, however the club has no such reason for providing a discounted membership. To be discussed at the AGM, possibly with a motion to scrap or reduce the discount.

Dive costs

  • Cost per day per diver to remain at £45 this year (even if cost is slightly less or more). To be reviewed at AGM.

Next year’s committee

  • Club members who are interested in being on committee next year could be invited to shadow current committee members. A new publicity officer might be recruited this way.

Child and vulnerable adult protection

  • BSAC’s new policy hasn’t been published yet.
  • All instructors will need Disclosure and Barring Service checks once the new policy comes into force.
  • Club already has instructors with DBS clearances, 2 more are in process.

Recruitment of new members

  • Pat – in Chair’s bulletin – to encourage members to bring family and friends to the club.
  • Tall Ships Regatta – Pat to look into possibility of having a stall. NB – clashes with Mexico trip.
  • Dive list could be moved to a more prominent part of the club’s website.
  • Google searches for “diving Surrey Quays” don’t bring the club up at the top of the list, however it was noted that companies pay search engines for higher billing.
  • Recruitment sub-committee suggested, possibly to meet at 8pm one Wednesday. Pat to mention in Chair’s bulletin.
  • Seven Islands still have the club’s noticeboard. Manager is still trying to find out what happened to it.
  • Another call-out to be made for website content.

Risk assessment

  • Seven Islands have asked for a risk assessment. Brett has prepared one for the New Cross branch, and will do another for us.

Club summer social

  • Call-out to be included in Chair’s bulletin.

Pool use

  • Chair’s bulletin to encourage use for swimming, practice, testing kit etc.
  • Lifesaving course later on this year will involve pool use over several weeks.
  • Brett to look into another pool Olympics.

Student project

  • Students never got back to Ken. Assume this is not happening.

Club kit

  • Club cylinders are in test. Kit doesn’t need servicing this season.
  • Kevin has donated an aluminium cylinder to the club.
  • 2 sets of regs have been missing since Christmas.

Club’s 60th birthday

  • Suggested we start thinking of ideas.
  • Past members should be involved and invited. Dave remains in contact with some.

No comments:

Post a Comment